Monday, May 23, 2011

L.A. Story ~ Downtown

Well, I guess my strawberry pie recipe was a super offensive one.  I lost 2 followers yesterday.  Oh well, that isn't the entire reason why I write! Moving on!

I have decided that it would be fun to rediscover the beautiful city of L.A. and share it with all of you.  And yes, I do think it is beautiful!  Introducing my new feature,  L.A. Story!  I am going to take field trips to all the places I love in L.A. and document it by taking pictures!  I know, I know, such a sacrifice.  And it is all in the name of blogging!  You're welcome.

* Just a FYI ~ These features might not be weekly, they will be when I actually have time to go. So sorry! *

My first adventure was heading to downtown L.A. to the shopping district.  I love it here. Why, you might ask? Well because you can buy jewelry and fabric to your hearts content for cheaper prices than retail!!  And it is all bunched in the same area for your convenience.  Thank you, Los Angeles.  

So Friday my mom, sister-in-law, and I loaded up our kiddos and headed downtown.  We figured an adult for each kid, we will be okay.  We didn't really account for the fact that my youngest takes two adults, as evidenced by the picture below, but it worked out.  Here are some pics of the gang.
Did you check out his face? Priceless.  

We live about 30 to 45 minutes outside of LA.  For those of you who don't live in LA that might not seem so bad.  For those of you who do live here or have been here, you understand.  And traffic wasn't bad this last Friday.  Yes, these pictures are of traffic when it wasn't so bad. 
First, we found a bathroom.  I had a Starbucks before we left, whoops!  Then we hit up the jewelry store.  Love it!  And since I gave these blogging tips last Tuesday, I thought I would show you what we did with pictures. 
 And, of course, a little commentary.  Remember that cute headband my niece was wearing?  My sister-in-law bought about 9 yards for 3 dollars.  Yep.  Love it.  Oh and that wall?  That is just a section of the choices.
 Beautiful, isn't it?  What could I do with all of this??  Make an Indian wedding dress, maybe?
 The jewelry section.  Look at the choices!  This is me trying to tell my sister-in-law what I was thinking about for necklaces so she could help me organize.  She is an excellent organizer and I, well, I am not.  And this is my son probably saying 'I'm hungry!!' for the billionth time.
 Rows and rows!!
 All the chains to choose from. 
And then the fabric section of downtown.  There is just loads.  If you are ever here, go to Michael Levine.  That is this store and it is fantastic and has a ton of great stuff to choose from.  

Well that is it for the downtown shopping district of LA.  I got some fun stuff to create a necklace for a potential Etsy shop!!  Oh and I would love love love if any of your would give me some suggestions of what you might like to see in an Etsy jewelry shop.  You know, just throwing it out there.  No reason... :)

And I haven't forgotten about that giveaway!! Stay tuned, for sure.  Unless, of course, I keep moving backwards and go back under 200.  Then I guess you'll have to wait!  :)

What do you love about LA?  Any places you would like to see?  I will make a sacrifice and go see if for you!  I know, I am so nice! :)  Hope you are all having a great Monday!

22 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Too funny about the strawberry pie recipe ~ it looked delicious to me.
I've never been to LA - only San Francisco for a convention. I'm going to enjoy your field trips for our sake. (Thanks for the sacrifice in the name of blogging.)
I've never seen anything like all that jewelry stuff and ribbons.

Rachel - Notes from my closet said...

Wow! I have never seen so much jewellery! This place is amazing! I feel the need to visit LA :)

Love, vanilla

http://notesfrommycloset.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

LOVEEE this post! I bet you were in heaven in that jewelry shop.

I am glad you're going to show us LA from a "LA" perspective and not a tourist perspective. It makes people appreciate the city for more than just the stuff they see in movies and TV shows :-)

Hope u had a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love the mega fabric and ribbon store. Where I live there is nothing like it.
THE SHOP
I would love to see Wooden jewelry
bracelets and necklaces.
and rings....If you do that Iwill be shopping!!!!

Anonymous said...

o and the followers..No sweat your awesome! That has happen to me before and I have even seen it happen on big blogs you notice the numbers change by one or two every so often.

Chrissy said...

Oh my goodness, those stores are uh-mazing! Jealous!!! Happy Monday!

Emilee said...

Oh how I miss California. I'm so jealous. I grew up in Agoura which is 20 minutes from Malibu. Oh how I love LA traffic. I miss everything about Cali. Hope you have a fabulous time.

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

I am drooling over all that fabric. Not many stores like that in my small Oklahoma town.
Thanks so muchf ro sharing!

Janet said...

Oh I LOVE going down to the garment district!!! I went a few months ago, but need to go again!

We should get together someday, I'm in So Cal too! :)

www.iheartmygluegun.com

Chrissy @ the Pearl Blog said...

I am jealous we do not have anything like that here!

Unknown said...

I could spend hours and hours shopping in those stores! Looks like a fun outing. One of these days I'll make it to LA (beyond the airport)!

Macey said...

People are sad about the strawberry genocide I guess. WEIRD.
Okay, so I think you should go wherever an LA girl would go! Because we do all the touristy crap when we're there, I wanna see good stuff like those stores you featured in this post. Those are AMAZING.
Etsy shop. Okay, I wanna see dangles, necklaces (big chuncky ones), lots of charms, like bracelets or key chains, and feathers!!! That's all. And head bands. That's all. And, nvmd.

Autumn said...

Wow, I would have been so overwhelmed in that store! I can't wait to see what you come up with for your Etsy shop.

Babes and Sages said...

You're so funny! Don't worry about the followers. I hadn't posted in 2 weeks and still gained a couple ;)
Love all the pictures of the goodies in these stores. Guess I should go out to LA sometime soon...
Glad you're enjoying yourself.

By the way, baby is still not here :( I am getting impatient lol. Would you like to do another guest post for my little maternity leave? If yes just send me whatever you like via email. If it's too much work don't worry about it at all :)

Nicole said...

Oh no! sorry about losing followers. It happens...by next week you'll double what you lost. That's how it usually goes.

I have never been to L.A. but have always wanted to! It looks like there is so much to do. I have heard traffic is awful. Love all those beads! I would be in heaven!

Lindsay @ la vita dolce said...

Love that photo of you in the classes and fidora(sp). you are beautiful!!! :)
What a fun day with the girls and the little ones :)
I am in town...northridge actually, so we gotta get together!!!

Natalia Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jayna Rae said...

LA has been on my mind all weekend. I need an entire spool of rhinestone, a ton of black felt, and some other fabric and notions. I need to get off my booty and drive the hour that it takes. LA vs the High Desert . . . Hmmmm . . . tough choice.

Jennifer said...

Well I've never been to California so all of it please!
I didn't even know there was that kind of shopping in LA!! Wow! It was hard not to drool! Sooo jealous!!

XLMIC said...

I am MAKING THAT PIE!!! I lost followers because I outted myself as a Barney-lover. People are weird... me included. Great pics! I wish I did more exploring... I'll bet there are some cool places near me, too. Love this!

Anonymous said...

Great job posting our little adventure last Friday, can't wait to go down there again! Love how you put all the pics together too! I am totally gonna need copies of some of those!

Suze said...

I need to go and get lost in this big pile of fabrics :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...