Thursday, January 26, 2012

Creamy Potato Soup

Good Morning everyone!  I have an excellent recipe to share with you.  So excellent, in fact, last time I made it Tae said, and I quote, "I want to have this every night, mommy!"  If my dinner-hater little boy loved it, then it's a winner.  Trust me.

I got this recipe a while back that is similar to Panera Bread's potato soup.  Now, I know that if there is a Panera Bread near you, and you've eaten there, then you love it.  It's just a fact, people.  So you will, in turn, love me for bringing you this super simple, delicious meal.  You're welcome.


Now here is the problem with my recipes: I don't follow measurements.  I just throw in what I think is going to work and somehow it just does.  I will do my best to make up measurements for you, however, I think this one is pretty hard to mess up.  

First you cut up your potatoes and put them in about 4 cups (double it for a big family or party) of chicken broth.  Water is fine too, either way.  I don't really know how many potatoes, but make sure the water/chicken broth is decently covering the potatoes.   
The great thing about this recipe is that you can change it up to your liking.  I add about 2 cloves of garlic; however, if onions are more your thing, then they work too.  I happen to just love garlic.
 Let the potatoes boil until tender, maybe 15 minutes or so.  Then you want to start breaking up the potatoes by mashing them onto the sides of your bowl until the soup is thickened.  Don't worry about smashing all of them, it gives it better texture to have both.


Add the cream cheese, I use a whole package of about 300 grams, shown in the picture.  Stir the soup until the cream cheese is melted.  At this point you can also add spices of your choice.  I add salt and pepper (white pepper is fabulous in it), and paprika.  You can add some red pepper if you want it to pack a punch.

Once you taste it, you will see the many places you can take it.  I have thought of adding bacon or crabs or clams to make it more of a meat-lovers type of soup.  I would love to hear if you make it what kinda spin you put on it!

Well there you have it! super easy, right?  As you might have noticed by most of the recipes I post on here, I am no chef.  There isn't anything really super special about the recipes except that they are easy and fast and yummy.  I have three boys in my family and saying they like to eat is an understatement.  I need to be able to whip out a substantial meal at a moment's notice!

I hope you get a chance to make this delicious soup on a cold night, it will warm your belly!

Here's the recipe written out:


  • cups chicken broth

  • cups peeled and cubed potatoes

  • 2 cloves of garlic

  • ½ teaspoon seasoning salt

  • ½  teaspoon of paprika

  • ¼ teaspoon white pepper

  • ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (I leave this out, but great if you like more spicy!)

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese , cut into chunks



  • 1. Combine broth, potatoes, onion, and spices.

  • 2. Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.

  • 3. Smash a few of the potatoes to release their starch for thickening.

  • 4. Reduce to low heat.

  • 5. Add cream cheese.

  • 6. Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.


  • Have a great day!



    Follow Ma Nouvelle Mode

    7 comments:

    Alyx said...

    Oh, man. I am so going to make that - it looks ridiculously easy!

    Anonymous said...

    Ooh, tasty and easy! I'm glad it doesn't have a ton of butter and cream in it...I may have to give this one a try.

    Macey said...

    I don't generally like potato soup, but you had me at cheese!

    Jennifer said...

    Yum! I'm thinking some bacon would be fantastic!!

    Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

    I love potato soup! I just made this the other night.

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    Rachel said...

    Ooh yum, I love potato soup, and this sounds easy and quick to make!

    Unknown said...

    Wow- you make that look so easy. I've tried it before and failed miserably. I am stopping by from Much Love Ily. I'm stopping by for the first time but will be back : )

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...